Insurance for film, media and creative industries

Public Liability and Equipment Insurance for freelancers and small businesses

Key features

Public Liability and Equipment Insurance for freelancers and small businesses

Whether you’re a Designer, camera operator, makeup artist, marketing consultant, PR consultant, creative director, art department, colourist, photographer, production director, lighting crew, sound engineer, Aon can arrange insurance for film, media and creative professionals.

  • Get cover quick online any time of day
  • Policies start from a single day up to a year;
  • Cover your business liabilities and your equipment (including hired in) under a single policy


Core cover

  • Public liability up to £5 million

Additional cover

  • Professional indemnity – this can cover you for brand protection, breach of contract or plagiarism
  • Equipment cover - choose your cover level from £5K to £50K
  • Employers liability up to £10 million
  • Personal accident cover for all employees
  • Contents cover
  • Business interruption cover
  • Business travel
  • Legal expenses

FREE business and HR templates

Access to HR document templates, downloadable guides and an online risk assessment tool.

Things to consider

Things to consider

please note

  • You will have to pay an initial amount for each claim. These excesses may vary, your policy schedule will show the specific excess applicable to you.
  • You should take reasonable steps to prevent accident or injury and to protect your property against loss or damage.
  • You must keep all insured property in good condition and repair.
  • You must tell us if an insured building is going to left unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days .
  • You must take reasonable steps to back up your data at least once a week and keep copies away from the business premises .



What does public and products' liability cover me for?

Public and products' liability covers you for compensation arising due to negligence if someone claims against you for injury, property damage or denial of access arising as a result of your business activity.  

More information on public liability.

What does employers' liability cover me for?

Employers' liability covers the sums you have to pay as compensation if any employee (including labour-only freelancers working under your control or supervision) brings a claim against you due to negligence for injury as a result of working for you. 

More information on employers' liability.

Would freelancers be covered under my employers' liability insurance?

Yes, any claims made against you by freelancers working under your control or supervision on a labour-only basis would be covered by the employers' liability section of your policy.

Is my equipment covered by my home insurance?

Though you may not have a business premises, many home insurance policies do not usually extend to cover property used for business purposes. Media and entertainment insurance through Aon ensures that, should you need to claim, you are appropriately covered for business equipment. (Please note, equipment cover is optional. You must select this option in order for your equipment to be covered under the policy.)

What does the freelancer fixed price package include?

The freelancer online product includes public (and product) liability for up to £5 million. You then have a choice on what covers you would like to add, from employer’s liability, contents, equipment, business interruption, professional indemnity and personal accident.

What payment methods are available if I buy online?

You can pay for your policy in full by debit/credit card or by direct debit (over 12 months). For short term policies, you will need to pay in full by credit/debit card.

Who is the insurer?

This insurance cover is arranged by Aon and Underwritten by Hiscox.

Aon is an Insurance broker and Hiscox an insurer.

What if I want employer’s liability to cover more than 3 people?

Our freelancers fixed price product can only cover you for up to 3 employees. If you need employers' liability for more than 3 people, then the media & entertainment tailored policy is likely to be better suited to you. Just give us a call for a chat.

What do I do if I want to make a complaint?

Aon takes customers' complaints very seriously and aims to ensure that complaints are handled fairly, effectively and promptly and are resolved at the earliest possible opportunity. In the event that you are unhappy with the service provided by Aon please send your complaint in writing to:

Aon UK Limited
Central Complaints Team
Briarcliff House
GU14 7TE

Get freelance insurance today

Got a turnover of less than £250,000? Get cover online

Articles, Guides & Top Tips

producer insurance video

Behind the scenes with "The Producer"

Spending time with producer Mike Grey at the Manchester United Player of the Year Awards

about Behind the scenes with "The Producer"
photgraphers insurance article

Insurance for photographers

What types of insurance should photographers consider?

about Insurance for photographers
media insurance article

Behind the scenes with "The Cameraman"

Spending time with cameraman Gary Doyle at the Manchester United Player of the Year Awards

about Behind the scenes with "The Cameraman"