Cyber Risk Protection for schools arranged by Aon
Schools like any other business are increasingly dependent on technology, a data breach or ‘cyber-attack’ can lead to lost income, a damaged reputation, and legal and regulatory costs, not to mention the associated business disruption to your school.
Is my school at risk?
- hold sensitive personal data such as names and addresses or banking information;
- are reliant on computer systems to conduct your school’s business activities;
- have a website;
- are subject to a payment card industry (PCI) merchant services agreement;
- Then your school could be vulnerable to a data breach or loss of vital business services.
Cyber risk management resources
Below you will find a series of useful articles, guides and tools that SMEs can employ in order to reduce the threats posed by cyber-crime and reduce the risk of a data breach.
Protect your school
Aon are working with one of the UK’s leading insures, Hiscox to offer Independent Schools Cyber and Data Insurance, which offers the following protection;
- Practical support in the event of a data breach including forensic investigations to find out what went wrong and confirm whose data has been put at risk, legal advice, notifying parents, guardians or regulators, and offering support such as credit monitoring to affected parties;
- Compensation for loss of income, including where caused by damage to your reputation, if a hacker targets your systems and prevents your school from earning income;
- Payment of the costs associated with regulatory investigations or claims for damages made against you for failing to keep personal data secure. The insurer will also pay civil penalties levied by regulators (where allowed);
- Reimbursement for the costs of repair, restoration or replacement if a hacker causes damage to your websites, programs or electronic data;
- Liability protection if you mistakenly infringe someone’s copyright by using a picture online for example, or inadvertently libel someone in an email or other electronic communication.
From the moment you notify the insurer of a problem you be offered expert help and guidance when and where you need it, for example if:
You think confidential personal data has been stolen or gone missing. Your Hiscox claims handler will work with you to find out what went wrong, stop any further data leaks and confirm whose data has been put at risk. They will also assess whether there is a need to make any notifications to third parties, such as; parents/guardians or the Information Commissioner’s Office. Where appropriate the insurer will cover notification costs, including costs incurred from emailing or writing to any affected customers;
A hacker has disabled your computer systems preventing you from running your business. Costs of repairing or replacing your systems will be met by the insurer to get you back up and running as well as paying out for the lost income you suffered;
If something goes wrong, prompt, confident communication is critical to help minimise the damage to your school’s reputation. This is why Crisis Cover is included as standard giving you access to a leading public relations firm who can provide expert support, from developing communication strategies to running a 24/7 crisis press office.
Cyber and Data Insurance for Schools is arranged by Aon UK Limited and underwritten by Hiscox Underwriting Limited.
*provided by the insurer